Thursday, November 29, 2012

Canto I

The woods. I know, I know, you may just think it's a place of clustered plants, some fauna, a couple insects and a great many beautiful sights to take pictures of. It's a little different for me. First of all, to me it's a sign of  innocence. The trees are there. They live, they feel, you can even argue that through photosynthesis, they breathe. But they're unknowing. Unknowing of the boundaries between good and evil, of anger or hate or rage. Well, maybe if a logging company came in, but I digress, for to me, it's more than either of those things. It's a place of liberation. It's a place of solace, where I can hide from the troubles that bind me. I feel at peace here. I feel like the people who have come for me are no longer there. And most of all, I feel at home.

I'm sorry for my ramblings. I'm just trying to put my feelings into words. That's what these blogs are about, right? The name is Riccardo Abandonato. But, of course, my name is quite complicated, and so I shall prefer the shortened version: Riccardo Donato, if you insist... or perhaps just Riccardo. Or Rico. I do not really care about formalities. I've established a little site in the woods. A tent, some supplies I have procured from local markets, a tent, the Holy Bible, and the Book of Enoch, for good measure. If you haven't yet established, I am devoutly Christian. Well... at least I thought... but enough of that! This is a great day! Time in the woods to ponder one's inner thoughts.

Hang on... I hear... what? No... nonono... I need to see this. Pardon me for a second. I'll... I'll... hmm... aha! There's a vocal recorder! How did I forget about this? Anyways, I'll transcribe my thoughts later... better save this post and-

*****

Transcribed from Audio Device (Personal thoughts in black parentheses)
No! No! They could not have possibly been alerted to my presence this fast! It's... they're... ... well, it's a group of people who are definitely as devout as I am. They can't find me here. No. Impossible. No... I have to pack what I can as fast as I can and head out before...

*Growling* 

What the devil? 

(I would like to point out the appearance of this creature. It was blacker than the inkiest of starless nights, like some pure, uncut darkness that stained its fur. Its eyes were glowing crimson. It had the shape and stature of a great bloodhound on the prowl.)

"Turn around." (The dog itself was barking this itself. It sounded like a dog's bark, but it formed coherent words, and it was much lower than a canine's normal register. It was lower than the lowest bass note I had heard, and yet it was loud and commanding.)

Why should I?

"Because there is no reason not to turn around. Understand this, mortal, that there is no good that shall ever emerge from evading what is coming."

What in God's great name are you talking about?

"Why run from your past? Why even try to cover it up? Hide in the woods among the woodland creatures? Why lock yourself up like a mad hermit? Locked up in the woods or locked up in a cell, I see no difference. All humans must make sacrifices, you included. And if you do not turn around and face them-" (the hellhound bared his awful, rust-coloured teeth... "-then I shall make you suffer much more than if you had simply faced the consequences."

*The noises of the pursuers draw nearer, my speech becomes slurred slightly, a fault which I shall tidy up*

What if I don't?

"Then you will spend hours in unbearable agony, and in your last moments you will regret your actions."

Then I-

(Suddenly, as if from some great external void I had never noticed, a shadowy figure emerged and confronted the red-eyed hellhound. A thick black mist emanated from its lithe form as it faced the hound head-on. Then there was a wave of energy that knocked me backwards. When I finally felt able to stand, the  black hound had vanished as if it never was. The shadowy man was still there. And the voices of the pursuers grew steadily closer)

"Come along."

Wait, what? What?

*Someone shouting from far off*

"Do you wish to be captured by those men?"

(I remember his voice. I just can't remember what. I don't know why I decided to follow him in the first place. It was incredibly surreal- as to an out-of-body experience. I supposed that, perhaps the shadowy man was a sign from God, perhaps, although his use of shadows seemed a little strange. Another thing was that the people who were chasing me would have tortured me slowly and in the most agonizing ways possible. This was not an overstatement or wild speculation. I knew what they did and I knew what they would most likely do if they had caught up with me. Also, it was his voice. I remembered his voice so clearly, but I couldn't place the name.)

*Sounds of us running*

Who are you?

"Do you not remember me, child? It mustn't have been that long since you left my cathedral."

F-father Laguardia?

(Father Lorenzo Laguardia. He was a priest who had acted as my guide and my mentor for a while. He treated me like a son and taught me most of what I know of Christianity. I probably wouldn't be here if it wasn't for him. I thank him as much as I sometimes regret getting taught by him.)

"...yes. It is I."

Where are we going, Father?

"We are going somewhere where you can see the errs and consequences. It is the only place where you can confront the dangers that haunt you. It will not be safe, but it will reward your soul. Do you understand, Riccardo?"

...yes.

"Then come on, Riccardo, you must follow me quickly!"

*****

I suppose that's all I have for now. Father Laguardia and I are going to spend a night further into the woods. He says It opens at dawn. I don't know why I trust him... why I even believe he's there. But I know that whatever is going to happen... it was meant to happen, I guess. Maybe I can finally set things right after all this time. Maybe... maybe I can finally redeem myself. I have a sneaknig suspicion on what the place is where we can "see the errs and consequences". I sincerely hope it is not the case...

-Father Riccardo Abandonato of The Vatican.


No comments:

Post a Comment