Monday, December 3, 2012

Canto IV

*Sounds of moaning souls, the river pushing us foward*

L: "Riccardo, we have arrived on the opposite shore."

How long has it been?

L: "Only three days."

Three days? It feels like we had spent only a meager night.

L: We were in Charon's study for the majority of the ride. Time moves slower for those agonized souls.

...of course, Father.

(Around me we saw many souls wandering around. They all were doing one action over and over, one emotion, one mindset. They looked almost oblivious to us.)

Father Laguardia, who are these tormented souls?

L: These are the neutral souls. They have done too much to be in the Vestibule, but they have not done enough to earn entryway into the later circles. These are those who took a neutral-yet-devout stance in life. The ones you see typing over there, typing on nothing but the empty air for all eternity, are neutral bloggers who were neither runner nor proxy, only someone who was worried for their friend. However, these are only those that have not sinned enough to gain entry to the other circles. Another group you may see here are the proxies who did not serve The Dark One, but neither did they act against him. 

*Man running up*

L: Riccardo, I suggest we run.

(He was a strange looking man. He dressed in a black hooded coat and wore a strange mask that seemed to have both a theatrical happy face and a theatrical sad face on either half. I'm calling this man P.)

P: *Silent*

L:  Listen, young man. I know that you feel compelled to do what you are about to do. But understand the consequences will be very severe...

P: *Roars, charges Laguardia with an upturned knife*

(Laguardia then did something terrifying and fascinating at the same time. With the ease that one would breathe, Laguardia lifted his shadowy finger and the blade in the man's hand suddenly levitated on its own accord, sliced itself somehow into seven consecutive pieces, and clattered to the ground in an inward pointing circle. Then Laguardia tackled the poor man and whispered something in his ear. The man suddenly screamed. It was a long, torturous howl, and then somehow he dissipated into an inky smoke that cleared only seconds after, his echoed scream slowly fading from my ears. I can never forget that scream.)

What did you say to him, Father?

L: I told him the truth. I told him his Master's fate.

(I did not argue with him. We found a clearing in the woods. I have found little to say over these past few days. Things have seemed unnaturally tame. But I knew that the greater challenges, the greater tests of my faith and mayhap some reminders of my past may be lurking as near as the next circle. For now... I just want to rest. Under this tree. I want to have just one last moment before I go into the suffering. Laguardia is standing diligently, keeping an smoky, yellow eye out for any wandering intruders. I can finally sleep. If only for the time being.)

No comments:

Post a Comment