Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Canto VI

(We descended into the third circle a mere few hours after finishing the previous post. It seemed to be a large valley-like area filled with waters, rivers, and ponds. However, as we descended further into the valley the rain began to fall. It was a putrid rain, almost brown, smelled like feces. Fell in puddles and mingled in the ponds. Then we heard the moaning. There were humans trapped in the putrid puddles of waste. The rain grew heavier, and the stench of human excrement grew. Soon we entered the deepest point in the valley, and in its colossal center was a grand river made completely of bile and excrement. Humans wallowed in it. Half-eaten corpses floated among the muck and mire.)

*Moaning corpses, rain of excrement, the muck sounds of the grand river*

Father Laguardia, who are these unfortunates who lie in the ruin?

L: These, my child, are the Gluttonous, those who partook in drink and food to the point of ruin. These souls are forced to wallow in this putrid lake of excrement for the rest of time.

Will there ever be any sanctity for them?


L: Only when Gabriel blows his horn and they are sent to their final judgement. Not at the hands of a demonic beast. In that day demon and angel and all shall be judged under the lord.

*Spraying of water*

Father Laguardia, behold to our right! A patch of clear water!

*Running of feet over muck*


L: Tread lightly, for the great-

*Roaring*

(I then saw the beast with my own eyes. A great mass of water tendrils spiked into the air, splashing to and fro like a mad child. Then three great behemoths of heads rose from the water. The watery neck cascaded like an infinite waterfall, but the heads... the heads...)

Laguardia! Those heads look like the Hellhound from before!

L: This is the mighty Cerberus who devours and punishes the Gluttonous!

Cerberus: Where are my victims? I must show them the err of their ways! How they spent their lives by day frivolously wasting their work on food and drink, to satisfy their emotional needs. Pathetic mortal scum- ah! If it isn't you! You again to wallow amongst the others after getting rescued? So you decided not to face your fate...

L: No, Cerberus! We have come to pass!

Cerberus: Ahh... well, the problem is that you are harboring a sinful, rebellious piece of scum. I will not harm either of you, but I shall not proceed. *One head splashes into the water and eats screaming man*

L: Cerberus, you are out of order.

Cerberus: Hmph. Then tell me, sentinel, why must I bow so low to such a common night-thing of Purgatory?

L: Will a food entice you, beast?

Cerberus: ...mayhap it shall, mayhap it shan't.

(Laguardia proceeded to pick up one of the nearby rotting corpses and toss it towards the Cerberus. It snapped the corpse in its central maw. Then it looked at us again.)

Cerberus: You still shall not pass.

(Laguardia then threw another corpse  to Cerberus, then held up two shadowy fingers and dipped them into the island of clear water. The ice began to form almost instantly. Cerberus' look was one of surprise, then one of pain as the watery sections of its body froze completely and utterly. We passed while the Cerberus was still howling screams of pain and profanity. We almost reached the end of the Third Circle when I came upon a familiar face.)

Could it be? Ciacco?

Ciacco: Eh? Riccardo? Riccardo- could it be? Oh, forgive me, Father Abandonato, for I was too unworthy for the light of the Lord. I had partaken, in my final hours, to my old ways. I hope you may find it in your heart to forgive me.

L: Riccardo...

Yes, Ciacco. I forgive you, but it is not my forgiveness that is truly necessary in the grand scheme of things.

Ciacco: Forgive me... I tried warning you about them, remember?

...

L: Riccardo?

... aye, Ciacco. I remember it as if it were yesterday.

Ciacco: Yes, my Father.

Some of the... people... do you know if they are here?

Ciacco: Yes. Some of them engage in heresy or violence or even betrayal, and end up in circles far below mine. Circles that make me glad I am in this lowly mud hole. 

...Ciacco...

Ciacco: It's fine, Father. I just ask one thing.

Yes, my child?

Ciacco: When you reach Heaven, may you mention my name?

...I will try, my child.

L: ... Riccardo?

Yes?

L: You intend to keep your promise.

I do.

L: You will intend to save some of these souls?

Perhaps some. Maybe Paolo and Francesca. And Ciacco.

L: What about the men in the lower circles? Will you try to save them?

...

L: Let us continue. Forget I said anything. We shall rest on the precipice of the Fourth Circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment