Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Canto VIII

(We made it to the border between the fourth and fifth circles of hell. In the distance, there was a large tower in the background. At the pinnacle of it a large fire burst forth.)

L: Persephone, wife of Hades, is at the top of that tower. She is separated from her demonic husband and so she shoots fires in anger and rage. She creates the volcanoes and the earthquakes. She spreads destruction and pays no heed for the toll accumulated from it.

Her husband? Hades? The Dark Lord?

L: No. That is Greek Mythology. The true Hades takes the form of another Greek beast. We shall see it later in this infernal prison.

(Later on we found the banks of the River Styx the Ferryman Phlegyas. He was as blind as Charon, however this time he had a blindfold, the place where the eyes were stained with deep crimson. He carried with him a staff. He motioned for us to enter the ferry of the River Styx. This one was slightly shorter than the other River, and only took four hours to cross it from end to end. We saw souls swimming through the muck-and-blood-filled river. I recognized one of them as Fillipo Argenti.)

Fillipo: Father! Father Abandonato! Help me! Have mercy!

(He attempted to clamber on board. However, I was out of mercy. I took Phlegyas's staff and shoved it deep into one of Fillipo's eye sockets  His remaining eye showed an expression of surprise and betrayal as the other souls- the savage souls- caught up with him. They ripped him apart, tearing off his limbs and feasting on them madly. Then one shoved two fingers deep into Fillipo's eyes. He screamed, and his screams became higher and higher as his head was lifted from his body, vocal cords straining and finally snapping. It was almost exactly like that scene from Day of the Dead. I looked on without feeling. I regret my action now, but then, I was too angry. I was still too angry. I still have too much anger in my heart. I must remember peace, but it's becoming increasingly difficult. Finally we had made it to the opposite side of the shore and saw the gate of the City of Dis. We tried passing through the gate, but two men who had red eyes accosted us. They looked like damned souls, but they radiated a feeling of power.)

Soul: Halt! What mortal dares enter The City of Dis?

L: This soul has been chosen to go through the trials.

Soul: Trials? Explain, Purgatorial Soul!

L: Riccardo, wait on the shore. I shall be back when it is done.

(I did so. I waited for fifteen minutes. Or at least I thought it was fifteen minutes. I do not understand how time passes in this realm. I heard the resounding slam of the city gates before I saw Laguardia return, a saddened expression on my face. He didn't need to say anything; from my face, he already knew that I knew. He failed me. He failed his duty. For the first time, my guide has failed. We have camped on the opposite shore now. I am about ready to log off.... I hear moaning... from outside. Could it be? The souls have reached the opposite shore? Hang on, I must log off!)

No comments:

Post a Comment